The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI is distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
To view employment opportunities with other PHI programs, please visit www.phi.jobs
Position Title: Research Scientist II | Posting Number: #086-21
Please visit the Public Health Institute’s Posting Details webpage for more details, qualifications, and to apply.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides managerial and technical leadership for CWN qualitative and quantitative research and evaluation projects that include formative, process, outcome, and impact evaluations. Supervises, mentors and coaches junior staff. Works closely with program staff to understand and meet the needs of the programs and clients, and, to collaborate on establishing the basis for the various evaluation tasks, including clarifying the primary intended uses and other intended uses for the findings, identifying key evaluation questions, determining methods for data collection and analysis, clarifying resources needed to answer evaluation questions, and identifying how to support the primary use of the findings.
- Conducts multiple data analysis projects within a single period of performance.
- Communicates and establishes effective working relationships with diverse groups and interacts effectively with co-workers, clients, personnel in partner agencies, community members, and other external stakeholders.
- Develops methodology and project plans and outlines research procedures to be followed.
- Plans schedule according to a variety of methods to be used, availability and quantity of resources, and number of subordinate personnel assigned to participate in project.
- Conducts research and evaluations and collects, records, analyzes, and interprets data and findings.
- Prepares and presents presentations of evaluation and scientific findings before professional and lay audiences.
- Prepares reports of completed projects for publication.
- Proposes research and evaluation development opportunities. Leads writing of grant applications.
- Develops project plans and scopes of work, budgeting, and time management assignments grounded in strategic and operation considerations.
- Develops and maintains a network of specialized research and evaluation consultants (research design, sampling, data collection, data analysis) available to PHI investigators for proposal development and actual research and evaluation.
- Identifies and recruits new research and evaluation investigators whose interests and capabilities are consistent with a strategic plan for development of research and evaluation at CWN.
- Manages HR issues in coordination with deputy director, research and evaluation director, and/or program director.